Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Otel Lobby

Otel Lobby is one of Jakarta's hippest hang out spot. I've read many stellar reviews about this place but haven't tried it myself. One day, I answered this quiz on Twitter and... I won!!! Yeayyy, the prize is a free beef wellington, Otel Lobby's specials :)


Upon entering the premise, I was quite amazed. The Epicentrum area has its spell on me. I really really love the urban feel there. The neon signboard of Otel Lobby is certainly an eye catcher. Contrasting through the night sky, inviting us to have a sip of cocktail after a long day at work. The reception area is actuallly a Lobby. Mimicking an old school kind of hotel, with silent film on the backdrop, this place is a total classic.


Seated on a big leather sofa at the lounge area, I was a bit confused. How am I gonna eat sitting on a sofa like this (yeah yeah, I'm such a fuzzy customer). Is it because I got it for free? The lounge area is very cozy though, not recommended for dinner but an absolute choice for pre-party.

The food:
1. Beef Wellington (Rp. 145.000)
This is actually my first time having Beef Wellington. Not many places in Jakarta have this dish (or maybe I can't afford those who has them) so I'm a wellington virgin. I know this dish from Ramsay's TV show, Hell's Kitchen and been drooling over them for a long long time. According to the menu description, it contains mushroom duxelles. Duxelles is a finely chopped (minced) mixture of mushrooms or mushroom stems, onions, shallots and herbs sautéed in butter, and reduced to a paste (wikipedia) I just googled it :p


Basically it is a puff pastry containing beef. I asked for the beef to be medium well and it turned out medium well. Don't ask me how the cook it, I just know how to eat it :) The puff pastry, excellent. Slightly buttery and crackles the moment you cut it with a knife. The beef, perfect. Great cut, cooked precisely medium well and tender. I have a problem with tough meat so I am very very very fuzzy about the tenderness of a meat. Otel Lobby's Wellington pass with flying colors. Served with a small plate of heavenly smooth and silky mashed potato (need a bit more cream and butter though), this Beef Wellington is definitely a must try. Yummy!!!!

2. Herbed Papardelle with Braised Short Ribs (Rp. 85.000)
Let's get started... Judging from the menu, Otel Lobby served american/western classic dish with asian twist. The moment I read that this papardelle has soft cooked eggs AND ribs, I recommend this to Asmet. Simply because I want to try it :p


Served in two size, Asmet opted the large one. Smart move since he knew I'll be hijacking his dish also :p It was yummylicious!!! I don't know what makes it so delicious. The perfectly cooked papardelle, the spot on creamy meaty sauce, the tender boneless ribs or the beautiful soft cooked egg in the middle of what I think is one of the best pasta dish I ever had.

Papardelle is wide and al dente, like a pasta version of Singaporean char kway teow. The sauce is very rich, very herby, creamy and has all that goodness of a beef stock. The beef ribs is very very tender. We can taste the beautiful texture differences of the chewy pasta, the shredded tender ribs AND the gooey eggs. It's not only good in the tongue but also on your teeth.

Thank you Otel Lobby for the experience, well done!

Rating: 8/10
Location: Kuningan Epicentrum

6 comments:

  1. Setau aku... si gordon bilang beef Wellington tuh resep asli bikinan dia dan dia butuh waktu bertaun2 supaya si beef wellington itu enak... Jadi pengen cobain banget deh aku!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parpadelle is quite difficult to grasp, once overcooked, it'll taste like the flimsy & mushy bakmi lebar. Reading from your description that Otel Lobby manages to make it al dente, makes me curious to try it.
    BTW, how did you win the quiz? I heard the buzz sometime ago, but was too lazy to try my luck hehe. =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. @lovebbi: oh really???? gw pikir itu semacem classic english dish. Go try it, don't forget, try to win it for free first hehehe

    @ellyna: yeahhh, i think it's even better than pepenerro's. I just answered food themed question from @otellobby and voila, i won :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stau gw wellington itu classic english dish dan si gordon itu signature dishnya bkin wellington..bukan dia yg bkin resepnya..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried the beef wellington. emang enak banget ya
    juicy and tasty banget! hahaha. Kind of pricey tp worth it sih for the beef wellington

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Beef Wellington looks appetizing! I bet the taste of the tender beef and the crispy pastry worth every rupiah.

    ReplyDelete