Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Abura Soba Yamatoten

Abura Soba Yamatoten is a japanese soba restaurant in Pantai Indah Kapuk area... Unlike it's predecessors, Abura Soba Yamatoten specializes in Soba. I am not a soba fans, my fave type of japanese noodle is actually udon. When this place became huge is social media, I wonder why people gone crazy over soba. Sooo, I decided to give it a try with my sis and mom

The place is very PIK. Renovated shophouse with minimal decor and simple modern japanese touches here and there. I don't think the place can handle more than 50 guesses (no wonder people always queues outside).

I'm so sorry, I kindo forget the names of the dishes but no worries, i'll try my best to describe each and every dish. The soba is handmade and produced fresh daily by the chefs, using authentic and high quality ingredients. I love the consistency of the soba which is different from the soba we usually find in Japanese restaurant. The soba is like ramen but thicker and more chewy.


The soba is served with bamboo shoots, onsen tamago (runny half boiled egg), nori shreds, finely chopped spring onions and pork slices. This is the basic version... Noodle consistency is beautiful. Mix the soba with all the ingredients, put seasonings as instructed (chili oil and vinegar) and voila, creamy gooey savoury japanese noodle. It reminds me a lot of pasta carbonara. I can't say it's not delicious but it is not my cup of tea. This dish is something new to my palate and I really enjoyed it BUT after finishing half of the soba, I found it boring, two dimensional and in the end a bit too creamy (and not in a good way)


This is another version of the soba, using soybean paste base sauce. Taste more like chachiang mian or korea's jajjangmyeun. Ugh... Hate this noodle, sweet and pungent. Big NO NO


Last one is their rice dish. Abura Soba Yamatoten serves a limited variety of japanese dishes. When we went there, Mom doesn't want to eat noodle so we ordered this one and only rice dish. Basically a bowl of rice with grilled pork belly slices on top. The pork belly is very oily, then it is served on a bowl of rice with NOTHING else other than garnish. I wonder how people can enjoy this dish. Sure the pork is good but come on... Rice and pork slices only?

There are many other places in PIK that serves better food, I don't think I'll be coming back here...

Rating: 6/10
Location: PIK, near the JORR entrance

Follow my instagram @doc_babi for live update of my culinary journey

No comments:

Post a Comment